Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sadie update

Sadie is not standing or walking, and has not relieved herself in any way since Foster took her. The lack of urinating is what had me freaked. The vet was unable to determine what was wrong with her without further diagnostics, which we declined for the time being ($$). She is still eating and drinking, which is a very positive sign, so Foster will watch her for the next day or two to see if her situation improves. They prescribed Rimadyl, a pain reliever, and are hoping that will allow her to get up and move around a little more. If she does not improve in the next couple of days, diagnostic testing such as xray and bloodwork are indicated. She is an older dog (arthritis?), recently had spay surgery, and has had a ton of transition, so we are hoping that is all it is. Her temp and other stats were mostly normal. She is heartworm positive, is blind in her right eye (we think cataract) and has a boney mass on her left foreleg. She is clearly terrified, so that is amplifying whatever problems she is having. She is a sweet, sweet girl.

When I approached her at Foster's house, no one else was in the room, so I walked up to her slowly on the side I knew she could see me. I averted my eyes and walked up to her kind of sideways so I wouldn't intimidate her. I crouched down next her her with the side of my body facing her and put my hand near her (I didn't reach for her) palm up so she could sniff. She did and gave me big kisses hello. She is SO sweet - she would be dangerous for me to foster. This is a new foster to Rescue Angels and he is fantastic. He's really committed and obviously very compassionate. She clearly trusts him. I really hope she improves.

2 comments:

  1. Keeping Sadie and Foster in my t's and p's that this all works out on the positive side. she looks like a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping and praying that Sadie is improving. She has an adorable face and it sounds like she is with a wonderful foster parent who's truly looking out for her welfare. Please keep us posted on this darling girl.

    ReplyDelete

Follow me at http://twitter.com/PellMelanie

Now Reading (see bottom of page for completed and on deck titles)