Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dixie

This morning I got the news that Dixie, my sister-in-law's dog, passed away. She was elderly and badly debilitated by arthritis, and often needed help moving around and getting up and down stairs. She died naturally this morning. She was a very sweet-natured golden retriever, and I was lucky enough to have seen her this weekend at my nephew's baptism party. I gave her a good scratch, which she seemed to appreciate.

My heart goes out to my sister-in-law. I have really grown to love her quite a lot. She is absolutely beautiful and always impeccably put together - so you kind of want to hate her. But she is so compassionate and sweet that it is impossible. I have really grown to appreciate her presence in my life. For some reason, her giving birth to my nephew has made me feel much closer to her. I really look forward to seeing her at family events and I wish we had more time to just hang out together. But luckily, she is a member of my family and I will have the rest of my life to develop that relationship.

At any rate, she has a similar affinity for animals and I know she was deeply attached to Dixie. I know how hard the loss of a life companion like that can be and I feel just awful for her. At least Dixie isn't in pain anymore, but I know that is not much consolation when you expect to see Dixie when you walk in the door or feel her when you reach down next to your chair. I hope the pain dulls for her and she is able to find comfort.

3 comments:

  1. God bless and hold Dixie near as she travels to the other side and waits for her loving human parents to return to her some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are with her. I know how hard it is after recently loosing my Lucy. Time does make it easier, but not a day goes by that I dont think of her. When I walk Schroeder thru the neighborhood it brings back memories that Lucy and I had, but at the same time Schroeder and I are making new ones. I feel all my friends who have passed on are always with me. My family is now used to me having out loud conversations with departed friend four an two legged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My prayers are with Dixie too. It takes time...who know how much time, it's been 8 years since Uma crossed the rainbow bridge, and I still miss that big lump! hmmm, maybe she'd be interested in adopting someone?

    ReplyDelete

Follow me at http://twitter.com/PellMelanie

Now Reading (see bottom of page for completed and on deck titles)