Monday, July 27, 2009

Cheetah's first visit to new home

I find that I am having a hard time reporting on this, so please forgive if the posts become a little sparse.

Cheetah's visit went well yesterday. She was nervous but we stayed until she calmed down (a little over 3 hours). She showed a real affinity to Daughter, although she got carried away and nipped a few times. I am working with them on how to handle that and nip it in the bud (no pun intended). Her excitement level was particularly high as both my and PA's anxiety level was up (I was sad and she was nervous about what I thought), and I am sure that was revving her up even more. It was also about an hour car ride, which was super stimulating, and I gave her Dramamine. Cheetah seems to have a reverse side effect from drugs you would expect to make her sleepy.

She did manage to sneak away and poop in daughter's room (!!) but PA was very cool about it and understanding. It was actually my fault because Cheetah was barking at me - which usually means she is telling me something - but I took it as excited barking and failed to let her out.

But they had fun toys for her (just the kind she likes) and PA made her chicken and rice for dinner, which she of course thought was AWESOME. We ended by taking her for a walk around the neighborhood, and she was downright impressive with little Daughter holding the leash. She was walking loose lead and often healing. I am here to tell you - that is a big accomplishment. She never ceases to amaze me with her progress.

It was neat for me bc I got to see the video of Daughter finding out about Cheetah, and I got to see the house and neighborhood. There are a lot of dogs around, which she will love, and PA has a bench seat in front of her front window, where Cheetah can perch during the day and watch the world go by as she enjoys doing.

It was a reality slap for me though - I am not handling it too well. I know she will be in good hands and I will see her again eventually, but at the moment it is not any easier. This morning she came and hopped into the bed (placing her head right on Mr. PM's pillow - it is pretty cute) and gave me a lick on the face and I woke up to her tail going a mile a minute waiting for her morning scratch. It's just hard.

I will try to take a lot of pictures and some video of her this week. I will be focused on spending time with her though so I don't know how successful I will be. PA and daughter are coming to our house to visit Tuesday night to give her yet another chance to get used to them. Then she will go home Saturday. I will take her and stay with her until she calms down enough for me to slip out. I think it will be more traumatic if she sees me leave, since she does not understand goodbye, so I will say my goodbyes to her before that, so she doesn't get aggitated when I go. The goodbye is for me, after all. And I will not handle it well if she is crying at the door when I leave.

4 comments:

  1. ((((MEL))) it's not goodbye, it's a new hello, for Cheetah and now for Lexy and Swiffer to get their home back. You've done the best of the best for Cheetah and the Pups, and we all thank you for it. You are the TOPS!!! Queen of the Fosters! Number One Rescue Angel! We love you Mel and all you've done for these very lucky dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I feel so guilty for giving her up - it helps to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy Cheetah found a forever home. I know this is very hard on you and Cheetah. I think if you tell Cheetah what is going on she will understand. Cheetah came into your life for a reason but, now she is needed elsewhere. Without your love,understanding, and patience she would have never been able to go to her forever home. Time will make it easier as well as the updates. One day soon you will see her with her family and how happy she is, and it will all be woth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mel, I couldn't possibly add anything more to all the wonderful words E and alpacadoge have already used in expressing the love, gratitude and empathy we have for you and all that you have done to raise Cheetah and her adorable puppies. YOU truly are a Rescue Angel on earth and Heaven bless you for your kindness and devotion you have shown Cheetah. This is simply a new chapter in the happy, happy life Cheetah will experience because you took the time to care for her and to teach her how to interact with the world around her. She's become a lovely young dog and you should hold that close to your heart and know she is always with you in spirit and with a special bond which only you and Cheetah can call your own.
    Hugs to you and to sweet Cheetah!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Follow me at http://twitter.com/PellMelanie

Now Reading (see bottom of page for completed and on deck titles)