Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Belle update 9.22.09

Everything goes well with Belle inside the house, she seems happy and apparently is getting used to us, the only thing about it is that now she starts crying when we need to go to work, and cries very sadly as complain when we get back, I sincerely feel very guilty of leaving her by herself for so long, so although I do go on lunch time to walk with her, I am hiring a dog walker for Belle not to be alone for so long.

Another thing I wanted to mention, yesterday morning we were doing our usual walk, when all of a sadden a very aggressive dog came barking at us from one house's fence, the dog went insane trying to jump out of the wooden fence to attack us and Belle panicked horribly, first she went behind me and as the dog keep barking furiously at us, she started shaking very hard and getting is this weird position kind of cuddling with her legs below her body REALLY tense, when I tried to calm her she wouldn't listen to me at all, she keep shaking badly and as I was trying to take her away from that situation since she was cuddling as rock, it was impossible first for me to lift her, so I had to take her face and said "he can't hurt you, you're with me", so I put myself in front of her in a way that she could hear the aggressive barking without seeing the dog inside the fence. so she finally moved, but sadly, her confidence went down again, her tail is not coming up as it did before, now no matter where we walk, she just walks nervously fast with the tail hidden between her legs like escaping. Meaning, she is not enjoying the walk at all.

I am buying the book you suggested me today, but meanwhile, do you have any suggestion about how to make her feel better?

I will appreciate any advice.

{I am showing my response here as I feel it could be useful info to others.}

Belle would definitely prefer to be with you rather than alone. But rememebr that whining growling and barking is her only form of verbal communication. It doesn't always mean she is sad when she whines. She may be saying - hey I'd rather you didn't go - when you leave in the morning, but she does fine by herself. When you come back she is whining with excitement and joy so see you again - she's not sad at that point. Her mom does that too when she is excited. If you respond to her feeling guilty - she will pick up on that and do it more - either to elicit the response or because she feels you being sad and uncomfortable so she figures it is justified that she is concerned you are leaving. What I always did with her (and Cheetah) was to give them something fun - either a toy or a chew - and say in a very happy voice that it was time for me to go but I would be back and to have a nice time and be good while I was gone. Then I would quickly and confidently slip out the door. If you are able to do this consistently - eventually she will get the idea that when you leave you come back, and that there is nothing to worry about because you are happy and confident walking out the door.

I saw Cheetah this weekend (she is currently at a no cage boarding place where she has loads of fun). When I left she whined and barked like "hey you are forgetting me!" and I felt lower than dirt. I cried all the way home. However I guarantee you that she gave it about a minute before she moved on. Dogs live in the moment, so when you are gone she is not sitting around thinking how lonely she is or how awful you are for leaving her. She is probably sleeping. I would never tell you NOT to get a dog walker. But in these economic times, if the money is at all a concern, I can tell you that (especially if you are coming home in the afternoons to walk her) she does not NEED one.

As for the other dog, that is really unfortunate. It is going to take some time to build her confidence back up after a bad scare. It was a perfect response that you got in front of her and told her you would protect her. That increases her confidence and bond with you. And it did work - she was able to move. Now what you will need to do, beside avoid that path for a while, is make every outing really fun for her. Bring special treats she loves but does not otherwise get, bring a special toy she gets to have at certain times on the walk that she loves to play with and doesn't otherwise get (maybe the purple thing?). Then she will start focusing on you and the thing she wants and not think so much about how afraid she is. If you give them to her at certain times or places in the walk - that will give her a goal and something to look forward to after she starts to see the pattern. It will probably take a while, but that is what I would do. Also I would start working with her on some more complex training. Training is believed to increase a dog's confidence level. Teach her to look at you, target, sit and stay - that thing I gave you is helpful for that. The training should take place initially at home but as she gains aptitude you can start using it in more stressful situations to help focus her. The only other thing is do your best not to feel bad for her. Definitely reassure her, but don't feel sorry for her. Again, she will pick up on the fact that you are feeling bad and think she must be justified in being scared herself! Try to stay positive and happy and confident around her and that will help her a lot.






5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to read that Belle has a new home and two lovely and loving people. It sounds like they are trying very hard to get her settled in and making the right choices for how to keep her active and disciplined. Yah! Belle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would try and find a older dog or, a more social dog so she can get used to other dogs. I take Schroeder to the dog park a couple days a week. He has also met many dogs in the neighborhood. We have alot of small dogs around and Schroeder is learning to lay down when he plays with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to ask if she is feeling averse to other dogs now. She was doing well as long as a whole bunch of them were not descending on her at once. That is great that Schroeder is learning how to adjust for small dogs. I wish Cheetah could get the hang of that. Did you do anything to encourage it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, his firs friend here when we got him (chewy) was small. As Schroeder has gotten bigger I think he realized himself that it works better if he is down. He has gotten bigger since you last saw him. Most little dogs when they see him are afraid so that is how he makes them more secure. He loves other dogs and always wants to play. The only time he gets nervous is when we pass this house with two german shepards and he hears them barking, he has never seen them. I feel lucky that he has not had any really bad expirences with other dogs. He does try to show domination, but once the other dog lets him know that is not happening he gives up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Dyanna. I hope you will be posting again soon, Melanie. Hoping all is well in your world. <3

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Follow me at http://twitter.com/PellMelanie

Now Reading (see bottom of page for completed and on deck titles)