Thursday, June 18, 2009

Progress 6.18.09

Guess who walked past a PLAYGROUND today and hardly even gave it a second glance????? I am SO PROUD of Cheetah. She is almost entirely resocialized. Now we just need to work on things that don't look right to her (people on bikes, weird looking trucks, stuff like that). That will probably take longer. Chances are, she was not exposed to much as a puppy. So it will be an uphill battle.

I have also discovered she does not like it when people run. This was probably a large part of her issue with kids - since they are so prone to sudden and fast movement. She saw some women jogging around the park parking lot and did not like that one bit. I think she desires to herd them. A running sheep is never good right? Since I am completely against the idea of running myself, I do not know what she would do if she saw me do that. If I do that, it will be a bigger deal than getting muddy and dirty at the stream in the dog park by far! For being such an animal person I do not like exertion, nature or dirt very much.

On another note, we had some more storms today. I worked from home and was in the basement (which is our primary family room) and she stood at the top of the stairs whining. I normally do not allow her down here so that Swiffer and Lexy have a place of solitude. But I couldn't leave her up there scared. So I invited her down and she was so good. She just sat next to the couch and the one time she saw the cat, she was most certainly interested, but she listened to me when I told her to leave Lexy alone and sit back down.

She has really progressed. I still wouldn't leave her alone with either my cat or a little kid, but why would I do that anyway? I am sure she will backslide here and there, but she has really come a long way. Now if only someone could come in our house while she is here without her trying to eat them, we'd have her at a highly functional place.

1 comment:

  1. I can understand why you love Cheetah so much. She has certainly come a long, long way from the time you had to hold her down so her puppies could nurse. If ever there was a perfect human mama for Cheetah, it is YOU, Mel. I can only imagine the pride you feel when she learns something new or behaves in a gentle and submissive manner. Such a good doggie!
    *gives Cheetah a cyber-belly rub and chin scratch.

    ReplyDelete

Follow me at http://twitter.com/PellMelanie

Now Reading (see bottom of page for completed and on deck titles)