Thursday, August 6, 2009

Maddie update 8.6.09

Tuesday night, I went to my parents' house for dinner. My mom cooked over 30 chicken tenderloins so they would have enough food for the next night as well. We left the room for less than 2 minutes. When we came back into the kitchen, Maddie lowered her head and ran away...and I immediately knew she either ate something, had an accident, or broke something. Well, Maddie had eaten the entire plate of chicken as well as a bowl of cheddar cheese!! I don't know how she possibly did that so fast. The plate of food was almost the same size as she. She almost immediately threw up a good amount of the UNCHEWED chicken (not even bite marks!) so I figured she would be okay. I called a vet and they said she probably threw most of it up, and since she didn't chew any bones it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

The next morning she ate breakfast normally and then started throwing up. I figured her stomach hurt, so I gave her some rice around lunch time. She threw that up as well so I took her to the Emergency vet. He felt around her stomach for any pain or obstructions, and decided to just give her an IV and some anti-vomiting medicine. She has been tired but still a happy Maddie since yesterday. She has been able to keep down the wet food and rice the vet gave me yesterday...and will monitor her today.

Hence, it was a small scare but she looks like her normal self again today. The vet said unfortunately she won't learn not to steal food again, so all this stomach ache was for nothing!
Other than this episode, Maddie has been doing very well and is a very happy pup. We took her to the beach last weekend and she is an incredibly fast swimmer!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, I shouldn't be laughing, but it was bound to happen! I'm glad Maddie is just suffering with a belly ache. Nope, not a lesson she will remember. But a lesson that I hope the family will remember. Food and dogs...never leave the two alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed too - I figure it's OK if you know she's OK.

    ReplyDelete

Follow me at http://twitter.com/PellMelanie

Now Reading (see bottom of page for completed and on deck titles)