Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Adolescent Dog

I recently reached out to the remaining puppy owners to offer some resources. I thought perhaps they might be helpful to some of my readers as well.

As you are probably well aware by now, your puppies have entered adolescence.
Just like a human teenager - this can be a trying time. As someone who works with a rescue, I see tons of dogs come through because they were given up by families who thought their sweet puppy had gone Cujo on them. One of our own litter has even been surrendered already. So I wanted to reach out.

Most of you have already reported some Dr Jekyl & Mr. Puppy behavior :-) I just want to reassure you that if your pup is suddenly shy, nippy, barking more, possessive, territorial, showing separation anxiety, etc etc... that this is a normal part of puppy development and you have not adopted a monster. Nonetheless, I know that it is not an easy period to deal with so I thought I would offer my support as well as some resources. If there is anything I can do to assist you during this period, please let me know. Your reaction to your pup during this period is critical in helping him/her develop into the dog you hope he/she will be. Consistent training is critical. And fear not, it usually only lasts about 6-8 months, unlike the fun of a human teenager, which can last upwards of a decade!



** please note: While the vet is THE FIRST PLACE I go for health issues, I am NOT A FAN of taking much behavioral advice from your vet unless he/she is a veterinary behaviorist. If you are concerned about behavioral issues, please have your dog checked for any physical issues by your vet to be sure it is not a response to a health problem, and then consult a certified dog behaviorist - it is their area of expertise.

There don't seem to be a ton of books focused specifically on dog adolescence, but a few authors I recommend:
  • Nicole Wilde: Help for Your Fearful Dog: A Step-by-Step Guide to Helping Your Dog Conquer His Fears
  • Ian Dunbar - A number of his puppy books have sections on adolescence
  • Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D. - You can't go wrong with any book by her.

If you have any specific problems, let me know and I may be able to recommend more resources to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me at http://twitter.com/PellMelanie

Now Reading (see bottom of page for completed and on deck titles)